Celebrity Gossip by Jose Lambiet

Arsht hall could be in for name change

 Sunday, September 18, 2011

Miami Beach uber-philanthropist Sanford Ziff says he’s thinking about changing the name on venues housing nonprofits that he and his deceased wife Dolores supported.

 

Why?Because at 86, the Miami Beach society stalwart wants the name to reflect his change of status: from widower to newlywed.

 

  Ziff was married July 26 to Baroness Beatrice Clancy, 68.

So, within the next few months, you could be headed to the Sanford and Beatrice Ziff Ballet Opera House at the Arsht Center. The Sanford and Dolores Ziff opera house? That’s so 2010!
“I’m considering name changes, especially at the Arsht Center,” said Ziff, founder of Sunglass Hut. “I haven’t quite decided yet. I still have to confer with the board.”
Isn’t he expecting a backlash from the numerous moneyed friends that Dolores also left behind when she died of pneumonia Jan. 11?
“I gave $10 million to the Arsht Center, so I don’t expect it to be a problem,” Ziff said. “My friends have been wonderful about me getting married.”
Sanford and Dolores Ziff spent millions on universities, homeless shelters, museums, Jewish centers and arts nonprofits and were often rewarded with naming rights.
Arsht Center representatives did not return calls for comment. But one of Dolores’ four sons, Barr Keator of Davie, said he was “shocked and offended he’d [Ziff] even consider this. My mother moved him to supporting the Arsht project. She had the society connections.”
CELINE’S HOUSE OF PAIN
It’s home, not so sweet home, for singer Celine Dion on Jupiter Island.
The chanteuse’s brand spanking new $17 million beach house near West Palm Beach keeps on stepping into controversy.
Last year, the chi-chi town’s buildings director resigned under pressure from residents unhappy over his decision to let Dion build a giant water park. The singer of My Heart Will Go On was accused of being a water hog at the height of a drought. And five builders liened the house for nonpayment.
Now this: Developer Richard Dubois, who spent three years supervising construction, is suing two companies owned by Dion and hubby Rene Angelil for breach of contract and unjust enrichment. In papers filed in Stuart, Dubois claims the couple still owns him $538,219.
No response yet from Dion’s attorneys.
AND FINALLY . . .

… Odds are that the Miami-based Buoniconti Fund to Cure Paralysis probably won’t equal the whopping $17 million it raised in one night last year at the Waldorf-Astoria in NYC. Hey, even ex-Prez Bill Clinton showed up uninvited. But organizers say this year’s edition, Sept. 26, will bring out Manhattan’s rich. The luminaries scheduled to show include: Don Shula; Hall of Fame receiver Jerry Rice; NBA legend Chris Mullin; golfer Ernie Els; and the occasional famous crasher …

Courtesy of the Miami Herald

Comments
Post has no comments.
Post a Comment




Captcha Image

Trackback Link
http://abtr.backendtechnology.com/BlogRetrieve.aspx?BlogID=9797&PostID=302950&A=Trackback
Trackbacks
Post has no trackbacks.